View Single Post
Old 12-06-2022, 10:20 PM   #5
TX3100Guy

Re: Driveshaft - transmission tail piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
personally I wouldn't trust that. if the front of the driveshaft comes out of the trans it can make a real mess under the truck and if the fuel tank is also under there it could be a really bad day for you.
like said though, do the full suspension travel and take dimensions on that yoke each time. then you will have a good idea of how much change you will need in the shaft length as well as if the shocks bottom before the suspension hits the jounce stops, etc. for leaf spring suspension also factor in a bit for spring wrap which can cause the pinion angle to change.
Again, all good points. Once the truck goes from being a roller to a driver, I will 1) test the suspension travel and its effect on the drive shaft, just the way I did when I lifted my Jeep. 2) decide on the length necessary to add to the drive shaft (after I find a qualified drive shaft shop to lengthen and balance it. Fortunately, the fuel tank is behind the diff and out of the way of a flailing drive shaft. Obviously, more work to be done.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote