View Single Post
Old 12-14-2022, 05:00 PM   #830
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Ok, oh damn what an adventure! BUT I think i have seen the light... or at least a glimpse. LOL
So, I spoke with UniSteer about the kit they offer and Arne they do offer the kit for long and/or short water pump. With that said, I was then very interested in the Type 2 power steering pump mount they have and they are cool enough to just sell me that part(s). Then I was asking them about the Heim joint bracket that bolts to the frame and then the DBL D shaft goes through. The agreed to sell me just the bracket to hold the Heim joint (I already bought one). FYI I found these parts and how they assemble their kit on their website in relation to the rack they offer for our trucks - 8011920-01.

So with that said, it is very important that I explain my whole system. So I have a Small Block (383ci) with Long Water pump, POL Rack n pinion kit, Hydro Boost kit, Disc brakes all around, and HAD a standard small block Power Steering Pump and a March Pulley's sport pulley system. I say all this because I had an interference issue with the Power steering pump reservoir and outlet fitting hitting the universal joint on the steering shaft. So, with that said, I decided to go with a different setup of the power steering pump and change over to a GM Type 2 Pump, easy enough, right!?! NOPE!! So I have the new (coming in the near future) Type 2 pump mount from Unisteer. This is great, BUT I am not sure what pulley I need, yes there are about 1000 different pulleys, it really is crazy... SO, I bought one from Speedway that is universal and has a reservoir on it with -6an in and out, and I will use the PTFE steel braided hose I have that I used for my fuel line (the line pressure is below the rating of this hose). This is all good, EXCEPT after alot of research typically a Powered Rack wants lower pressure than what a Type 2 standard pressure puts out. Typically a standard Type 2 is 1300 lbs pressure and a typical rack wants 800 - 900 lbs. If you have excessive pressure the rack will act very quick, scary quick and possibly dangerous. So, after reading an article by Hot Rod magazine in 2021 by Marlan Davis, if using a type 2 pump with Hydro boost and a rack, you will need to install a Heidts PS-101 Power steering pump adjustable valve. Well yipee... more $$$, but it is what is needed to make it work right, so .... This valve allows you to adjust the pressure going to the rack to fine tune the steering response, so it is needed. At $135.00 it better work. LOL

Anyways, so I think I have the system figured out mostly, just need to get the pump mount, pump itself in and mounted and then see what offset is needed to make it all work, then get the correct pulley ordered.

I have a hose kit that I bought with my Hydro-boost that well i may not use now, but I will look into that when everything is here.

More to come as I get it. lol
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote