Thread: 47-55.1 Long Time Coming......
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2022, 08:03 AM   #141
gsinon

Re: Long Time Coming......

This week I brought the bed and rolled pan to work with plans to get it through the booth. I had a few of my students prep it for paint and get it all cleaned and ready. On Friday morning it all went into the booth for a few spots of color and then matte clear.

About a year ago I was able to find out what the color of the truck is. It is a 1986-92 GM color called Autumn Glow Metallic. PPG was generous enough to supply me with three quarts to spot in a few areas and paint the firewall and inner front fenders. They also gave me the matte clear for the job. But here is the kicker, the truck is painted in the late 80's in a single stage and I'm doing it with the new Deltron NXT basecaot system. Using all new tints the formulation has changed some and there is no way to make a base/clear have the exact same look as single stage. Add the fact PPG has not installed our new paint mixing system at the school yet, it is coming this Tuesday. So I have a color that is off a bit and I have no way to tint it to make it better. So I went with it as I need to get the job done and out of the school before the holiday break. While it isn't terrible, I was hoping the color to be a little closer. I really wish I had the new mixing bank as I could have tinted it to be closer.

In any case..... Here is the rolled pan I painted in full, as well as spotting in the bed and then matte clearing the whole thing. The last pics are about an hour after clearing. They will continue to "dry down" and get a little less gloss as they sit over the weekend.

The gate....

And the bed....

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829856
gsinon is offline   Reply With Quote