View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 01:26 PM   #70
MikeandCheryl

Re: Restoration insanity

My 72 K10 started well, but has stalled - this would be the beginning of year 2 on a busy project. I didn't see the point of fixing things as i took them off, but rather bagged, stored, marked, and carefully hid most of the bits and pieces where i could find them. The theory was to begin at the frame, to ensure every dollar spent was being bolted to a solid frame, with a good suspension. However, surprises take you by surprise...the frame was needing repair, the suspension was broken, the ubolts and such were seized and needed cutting off, the front and rear ends remain unopened and an unknown quantity - etc...so there is now a pause at the fork in the road...new frame? frame repairs? new suspension? Marketplace for a good used running chassis? Not too sure what to do...so just trying to ready myself for a bigger than i thought job.
Returning a vehicle to the original condition (not from 1972, but from 2021) will mean bolting back the original, worn pieces i removed to get at the frame. The paint will be old and faded, the interior not too pristine, but the stuff that rolls, will be solid, new (somewhat) and gone over.
Certainly the reality of a frame off rebuild will clash with the costs of a frame off rebuild. We'll see how it goes.
MikeandCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote