View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 04:33 PM   #6
elane352

Re: Need advice on which rear axle bearing seal to purchase - 64 Chevy C10

I added two more pics. This was the first time I tried adding pictures while replying to an initial posting. I am not sure I attached them properly. In case I did not, let me try to explain things.

i counted 30 splines on the axle I removed. The 2nd picture shows the axle. The new axle also has 30 splines. The splines on the new axles are longer than the ones on the axle I removed. The axles I purchased are part of a 5 lug conversion kit I got from Speedway Motors. It is actually a CPP kit.

The 1st picture shows my red trac bar. One end is attached to part of the frame near the driver side rear wheel. The opposite side of the bar is connected to the rear end housing. That connection is to the right side of the pumpkin if you were facing the pumpkin from the back of the truck.

Given the 30 spline axle that I removed, should I assume that the five lug conversion was done by replacing the entire axle replaced with one from a later year truck?

And based on rbruno's comment, it seems like I would need seals for a 65 truck.

Right as I was about to finish typing this, I noticed Rocknrod's comment about the 8871 National Seals.

Thanks to everyone that weighed in.

Edward
Attached Images

elane352 is offline   Reply With Quote