View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 02:11 PM   #12
Arne

Re: Issues fitting power steering pump to 305 V8 SB

Final update. I have it all in place now, and am happy with the pulley groove alignment.

Getting this all sorted was a lot more hassle than I expected. GM must have equipped millions of long water pump small blocks with both power steering and A/C. So getting everything to fit and line up is not cutting edge stuff, but should be very routine.

Here's what I came up with in the end:
  • Saginaw pump for bolt-on pulley (Performance Online)
  • Steering pump bracket kit for long water pump (Alan Grove Components, #402L)
  • Aftermarket factory-spec 2-groove steering pump pulley (GM #3941107)
  • Used factory 3-groove crank pulley (GM #3972180)
  • Existing factory long water pump 2-groove pulley (standard early '80s GM part)
Even with all this, mostly factory parts, I had to re-engineer the pump mounting a bit. While AGC says their parts are designed to use factory pulleys, when I mounted the pump per directions, the groove alignment was not correct (too far forward by about ス a groove). Luckily, the design of the AGC brackets allowed me to substitute different spacers to move the pump back about 5/16". That made it all work.

I'm pleased with it all now, but it sure seemed to be a lot more difficult than it should have been.

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by Arne; 01-16-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote