View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #12
Yamariv

Re: Need a quality US Made HEI recommendation for my 250 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
OP

did your truck come with a HEI dizzy or was it originally a points dizzy truck?

if the later than the resistance wire needs to be replaced with a 10 gauge stranded wire

I have Pertronix module in 2 of my classic car/trucks using the stock points dizzy. Just swap out the resistance wire.

If you have the white cloth covered wire coming out of your bulkhead connector...you still have the resistance wire which needs to be replaced

Your issue may be more coil and or wiring
Thanks to everyone for the replies, very much appreciated! So I guess I should try to troubleshoot a bit before I go and shotgun the whole system. Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this stuff, a couple months back I had no clue what an HEI distributor even was! Lol

So, all I know history wise of this engine is the PO blew up the original 250 ci and found a later GMC truck 250 and put it in then the truck sat for 7 years. When I bought the truck, it would only idle and stall out if revved up. After a carb rebuild and a gas tank clean me and my Dad realized the choke had no mechanism for opening up when the engine got warm. This makes me believe the PO never got to drive the truck with the new engine, got frustrated cause it wouldn't run right with a constant full choke and sold it.

I've attached a bunch of pics of the distributor, not sure if it's original to the mid to late 70's GMC engine though.. Looks like the harness has been spliced several times, is the resistance wire the one that starts out yellow then has a bunch of butt connectors leading into the distributor? There's no way the original yellow wire from the harness is 10 gauge. How far back would that yellow wire go under the electrical tape do you think?

My electrical diagnosing skills are minimal but I'm not scared to replace any wiring as long as I know what to remove and redo. I have extensive soldering skills from building guitars amps.
Attached Images

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote