View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 04:11 PM   #284
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

One step forward, two steps back. When I started this project the aftermarket had not yet produced motor mounts for my application, so I bought a universal set of "hot rod" mounts and took my best guess where to position the engine. At that time I still had the factory oil pan as well, which kept me from going as low as I wanted to. Now that the Holley 302 oil pan is on it there is much more clearance between the pan and crossmember. Like the 2 most recent comments suggest, I think the pinion angles and driveshaft clearance issues will be resolved if I install properly designed mounts. Yesterday I ordered the parts, and today I took the front end and cab back off. I also dragged it back up to the house and gave it a much needed power washing. The last time I pulled the cab I used a beam that made contact with the inner roof panel. I put some padding between the metal and the beam but it still made some scuff marks, so this time I redesigned the beam to carry the weight on the top of the door jambs. I cut a notch in a 6x6 that allowed the pinch welded flanges room so they wouldn't get bent in the process. This method worked better than the first as the cab was much more solid while up in the air. See pics.
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.

Last edited by cornerstone; 03-06-2023 at 04:24 PM. Reason: corrected bad grammar.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote