View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 07:43 AM   #6
MikeB

Re: Question for the Electrical Gurus; Distributer not getting juice during cranking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
How the heck does the ignition circuit get it's electricity during cranking.
The switch is or should be "mutually bussed". That means the IGN terminal is hot when the key is in the "start" position. My 69 has had two IGN switches over the years, and both of them worked like that. If you have an ohmmeter, you can check that on the switch you removed.

Just occurred to me that on earlier cars and trucks, like the 1950s, that was not the case, so a later model mutually-bussed switch was required for HEI installations.

I have seen some 60s cars (like a 64 GTO) use a resistance wire for the connection from IGN switch to distributor, instead of a ballast resistor. Be sure there isn't any resistance wire or a ballast resistor between the ignition switch IGN terminal and HEI input.

I can't envision where your bare wire touched the body, but you could have potentially blown a fusible link. If the deep water incident didn't cause the problem, it would be a coincidence.

Also, the jury rigging you found may have something to do with the problem.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 03-08-2023 at 01:10 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote