View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 12:23 AM   #12
Richard

Re: Drive line angle questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
i agree with you and i think we are saying the same thing. if the componets are correct so will the ujoint operating angle. the one thing we may not agree on is what excessive vibration is. In my opinion any driveline vibration is excessive. Unless a vehicle has a big lift there is no reason the component angles and therefore the oprtating angles cant be really close. I just went though this on my truck and as it turned out the brake drums were causing the vibration.
Regarding component angles, saying that my engine/trans, drive shaft or pinion should be at a certain angle is really useless info IMO. Those optimum angles are going to be different for my dropped truck, lifted truck or stock truck. I will adjust those angles to obtain the best ujoint operating angles for the vehicle.

I do not recall stating it was okay for the operating angles to be far apart. Infact, I said they should be within 1 degree. I did point out that exceeding the 3 degree recommendation is not a big deal. I have a 94 extended cab that I installed a 6/8 drop on and drove it that way for many years. Is lifted now. Has a two piece drive line so I have dealt with that as well for experience.

I also said the operating angles constantly change. Depending on suspension type such as the trailing arm and angled leaf springs on the old trucks the pinion angles down the more suspension compresses. A 4 link may be more linear depending on link bar length. Then there is wrap from torque. Which still exists even on a trailing arm truck or even a 4 link.

All is good with me, just wanted to explain where I am coming from. My last comment about overthinking it was not meant as an insult. I just believe that searching for the perfect combination of angles can be a fruitless endeavor. It is literally impossible to keep the ujoints in phase under all driving conditions.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote