Thread: Legacy 59
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 02:54 PM   #35
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Legacy 59

Hey Tom, I finally found you! I'm not on this forum as much as I once was but just noticed this thread and will try to check in periodically.

The Fatman's Fabrication IFS kit I sold you was in Orange Country here when I bought it. The guy that had it said it came with an aborted project '58 pickup he'd bought. He planned to put a blown big block in it and wanted a kit he left was better for a heavier, high torque engine than he thought the kit was for. I fully planned to use it myself until the builder I used on my truck suggested I'd like the FlatOut kit better.

At the time I was more flush with cash than I thought I would be and I thought that since he does these mods daily/weekly I should follow his advice so that later he couldn't say, "Well I told you..."

In 20/20 hindsight I wish I'd kept the 283 that was in my truck. It had at least one dead cylinder but also had "camel hump" (fuelie) heads on it with the bigger valves. I know rebuilding a 283 properly can be more expensive than an out-of-the-box 350 short block. I ended up spending way too much money on my truck to make it what I'd always dreamed of. Not that I truly regret it, I love my truck. But I wish I'd built something more daily driver friendly.

I ran into a website last night that had a VERY nice '58 short step side truck in it. It looks like a very high dollar build but the guy kept the 265 V8 in it and it just reminded me how nice my truck could have been without spending as much as I did on the engine. If I find it again I'll post the link here for you to check it out.

EDIT:

Here's a link to the truck I mention above: https://fuelcurve.com/levi-green-58-apache/

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The color combo is nice and it features a bunch of stuff I sometimes don't care for buy really like on this truck. I'm also impressed with the flipper rear bumper and the nice integration of exhaust tips in the spaces next to the license plates. I still plan to put motorcycle signal lights with white lenses in them on my truck to take up those spaces. Though now that I've acquire '51 era plates there may not be space. Anyway, just rambling now. Enjoy!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-20-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote