View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 09:27 AM   #6
CJM72

Re: Front Leaf Spring Caster Shim Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
First of all, congrats on using those angled shims. It's probably the biggest improvement you can make (anti-sway bar comes second) for stability, IMHO.
As far as the locating bolt; It's nice to have to line up the springs, but not totally necessary. Once the U bolts are tightened down, that locating bolt does nothing.
Assemble everything finger tight, and check your wheel base with a tape measure while snugging up the U bolts. You want both sides the same (assuming your rear axle is in the proper location).
If you want, you can stack a few washers under the head of the locating bolt and the grind the washers down to the same diameter then install.
I made my own shims and bolted them right to the springs like Richard was talking about. Funny part was that I had to elongate the hole in the spring perch 1/8" anyway because I couldn't get my wheelbase equal on both sides.
Please post back and let us know what you think of the extra caster.
FWIW, I'm running around 6-6.5 degrees of caster.
Thanks Hemi. Your feedback is what led me to buy the shims in the first place. I am installing the correct spring plates to install a second gen sway bar in the coming months as well. That will take some time because I'll have to fab some mounts for the cross member.

It hadn't occurred to me that I'd have to (or be able to) adjust the wheelbase by slotting the spring perch. Is that a common practice?
CJM72 is offline   Reply With Quote