Thread: 47-55.1 1953 3100 "Honey-do"
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2023, 10:08 AM   #200
rnrdthefox

Re: 1953 3100 "Honey-do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Man that is crazy...and very confusing. I don't know where you would begin. Then after you have all the wiring figured out you need to try to hide it all. Very cool concept tho to have the vintage truck full of modern technology.

Marc
Yep, I get it. First you have to have some desire for self-inflected pain. You also need to start with a complete wiring diagram for the vehicle which I have. I couldn't do it without it. The only options I plan to keep are:
- Relay circuits and fuses for items that are left (all of this resides in the under-hood fuse box). I will repurpose some for the Vintage Air, Stereo, and misc items
- Heated and cooled seats, with power adjustments
- Inside rear-view mirror with outside temperature and compass and auto dimming. I down-graded to a 2007 mirror to get rid of the extra on-star buttons.
- Auto headlights at dusk (requires one small sensor to be retained and added to the dash).
- Power windows, door locks and alarm with disablement, remote entry and start.
- Circuits for headlights, turn signals, brake lights, running lights, and driving lights.
- Wipers with variable delay, fast, slow settings (all controlled by the BCM and using existing wiring with an aftermarket motor for the 3100.
- I will also integrate an aftermarket stereo into the harness so that the steering wheel controls still work. I've already tested this on the pool table and it works.
- ECUs: ECM for engine, TCM for Tranny, (FSCM) Fuel System Control Module, RFA for remote entry, Passenger door controller, and (BCM) Body Control Module for everything else that remains.

I've removed all the stability controls, trailer brake module, ABS, Airbags, Onstar, SirrusXM, rearview camera, proximity detection, and a host of other misc things. I've still got a ton of wires to remove that i cut starting and the second row of seats that control things like the rear hatch, HVAC, rear entertainment, etc. It's a VERY tedious process and not everyone's cup of tea.

If I'm lucky, I end up with a number of modern conveniences, reliable factory harness' for both chassis and in the cab and something that will be a daily driver for years to come. But it is a huge undertaking and many hurdles left to overcome including stuffing what's left into the truck.

thanks
Renard

Last edited by rnrdthefox; 04-14-2023 at 03:58 PM.
rnrdthefox is offline   Reply With Quote