Thread: 47-55.1 Hazard light wiring dilemma
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2023, 09:31 PM   #1
TX3100Guy

Hazard light wiring dilemma

I suspect the answer to this question is that there is no answer, but I have found this forum full of talented and knowledgeable individuals, so I thought I would take a chance.

For quick background, I am installing a new American Autowire "classic upgrade" wiring harness and an Ididit steering column. Both the column and the harness have the capability to support a Hazard light option. There is a knob on the column to turn on the hazards, and the wiring harness supports this. I'm also installing a new electronic speedometer that has a dash light to show when the hazard lights are illuminated. However, there is no dedicated wire in the harness to connect to this feature of the speedo.

I reached out to Autowire and they confirmed that there is no dedicated wire for a hazard light indication on the dash and that "the brown wire" on the harness that connects to the steering column is always hot and if I were to splice into this wire, the dash light would be light constantly. I suspect this means that the switch on the column must introduce a ground circuit to turn on the hazards.

My question is to any knowledgeable electricians in the group, is there any other way I could get an indication of the hazards on with this setup?

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote