Thread: 47-55.1 Hazard light wiring dilemma
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2023, 09:57 PM   #17
Getter-Done

Re: Hazard light wiring dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
fun useless fact. the reason why BMW (and other german cars) are like this is because in europe there is a requirement to illuminate the indicators on the road side when you are stopped but not having an emergency. this is done with the key off and the turn signal pulled the correct direction to illuminate the front rear and side (also a european thing) indicators so that road traffic can see and anticipate a vehicle stopped where normally there wouldnt be one.

its called a "split parking light system" on those cars, and when you install alarm systems you need two relays to keep the systems separate, lots of lazy alarm guys would only hook up half and only half the lights would blink when arm and disarm. even more lazier guys would just tie left and right together and both sides would flash when indicating a turn. diodes were also used but relays were more reliable.

it occurs to me you could use a two relay system to combine both left and right lights being on (such when the hazards are on), using the left light relay to energize the right light relay and finding a "true" condition on the right output a third hazard output. the relays would keep the left and right indicators separate and only thing you would notice is an extra relay quietly clicking when turning left.

i havent ever seen a hazard indicator that wasnt the switch like mr 48 said. i think the function of having the extra indicator would be superfluous because like jweb and others have suggested, both turn indicators (usually) flash when hazards are activated. that said, the heart wants what it wants, and if you want a diagram of two relays I can whip one up, its very simple.

edit: thinking about it, I think i can do it with one relay. left turn to 85, ground to 86, right turn to 87, your hazard light wire to 30. everything isolated. the only thing i can think of that would prevent this is having small side indicators (Usually the 5w) that are tied in to both park and turn. you shouldnt, only factory gms do this on later model stuff but that is a limitation.
And This is why we could use a (Like) Button

Just Kidding

Great Info
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote