View Single Post
Old 04-21-2023, 11:24 AM   #3
Yamariv

Re: L6 250ci with 3 Spd Manual to Big Block Conversion-Does trans need to be moved??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
The 3 speed clutch and transmission are the same length as a Muncie, THM350, power-glide and 200/2004R.
Typically any/all can be interchanged without changing driveline length. Although some conversions will require the automatic cross-member.

I am wondering about the 3 speed behind the BBC. This was not a factory option because the transmission was not rated for BBC torque.

1. you need a different cross member to support the standard trans.
I don't see a need for changing the cross-member if you stay with the 3 speed.

2. you need the large hump tunnel cover cause the trans moves back a couple inches.
The large hump was behind BBC because they had the 4 speed manual or the THM 400.
If you are staying with the 3 speed no reason to change to the large hump.
If you use a 700R4/4L60 they fit under the standard floor.

FYI I have observed BBC installed on SBC mounts. This works but don't expect some issues like aftermarket headers will not fit.
Cheers.
Thanks Accelo! I'm a bit confused though.. I plan on keeping the 3 speed. So I won't need the automatic crossmember? Any way to know for sure?

I guess the clarifying part I need is if the 3 speed standard will stay in the same spot as it is now with the BB engine stands? If I need a new cross member and have to move the tranny back then I think a BB is just too much work and cost. If it drops in with the 3 speed with no driveline changes then I'm gonna do it.

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote