View Single Post
Old 04-21-2023, 12:41 PM   #5
Yamariv

Re: L6 250ci with 3 Spd Manual to Big Block Conversion-Does trans need to be moved??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
You'll find long term that the 3 speed will complain about the big block in front of it from the added torque and horsepower. If you want to keep a manual transmission in the truck you may want to start sourcing a 5 speed that is up to the task instead of doing it twice. Big blocks ---in the stock form using factory frame stands----mount in the front holes on the frame and will push the engine forward 1-1/4'' of the small block position even though the stands bolt in the same holes. I 'm not sure of the 6 cyl placement vs big block as I have not converted from a 6 to a large V8
I kept reading that the 3 Ott saginaw was the stock default tranny for the big block. The more I'm reading, I'm hearing that 3 Ott was not the syncro Saginaw, but a beefier tranny, is this true? If it was something beefier then I guess a big block is not in my future as I can't really afford to do a tranny swap as well.

I've read many posts saying the 3 Speed Syncro Saginaw is a very tough underrated transmission, if I go small block will it hold up fine if I had something like a 325hp -350lbs of torque mouse in there. That not too far off the 402's power numbers though..

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote