View Single Post
Old 05-01-2023, 08:45 PM   #30
Short 3/4

Re: 1962-1963 GMC K1500 hubcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-66 View Post
Welcome to the thread !
First , by what your saying Im assuming you have a short bed 1965 Chevrolet K10 ? On all Chevy K trucks the Data book states wheel colors as Black for solid color trucks and Body Color for two tone trucks, White wheels were ONLY used on GMCs . In 1967 that changed for Chevrolet.

As for the wheels , all the lock ring (split rims) wheels had clips . They didn't make a nub style lock ring wheel. In fact ALL 3/4 ton wheels had clips. 1/2 ton there was a choice . Had an original 1966 2wd Suburban with lock ring wheels as well.

As for the hubcaps , My 1966 K20 came from the Dealer , not the factory , with 1960 K20 hubcaps. The owner traded in a 1960 K20 and wanted the hubcaps on his new 1966 truck. Thats a possible explanation for your hubcaps. The other is that the wheels and tires were swapped from another truck. That can be verified by taking the tire off a rim and checking the date stamp inside.

This is my old 66 K20 when it was still in the original owners possession. Notice the white 1960 only K type hubcaps .
Thanks for the info.
Yes, it’s a short step side. Made a mistake in my OP. Truck was originally two tone light blue/white and the wheels matched the color and had same clips as the one in post #27, except of course with 6 lugs. Caps were white. Have swapped caps and rims to another member, so unfortunately can’t check the date code.

So if I understand correctly all rims had the clips whether or not caps were ordered. That makes sense, so I imagine the dealer found some caps, which at the time would only have been a few years old, to fancy up the truck for sale. I know the original owner didn’t custom order the truck because early in its life he painted it green and white to match his ranch colors. If he had special ordered it he would have specified the green color at the time.

So thanks to you I think the mystery is solved. Sure appreciate all the knowledge on this forum,
Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote