View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023, 01:07 AM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Filling the power steering on 71 bigblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamariv View Post
I just added power steering to my L6 250. Turn the wheels lock to lock several times w/o the engine running first. I starter mine up and it was squeeling like crazy no matter what I did, frothing everywhere. I turned it off, primed it with the steering wheel left and right several times and all the air came out. Good to go after that!
Right on. Seems like there are different ways to prime it, just get her done. This was the recommendation by the guy who rebuilt my box and pump. I did this and more as mentioned above.

“DO NOT turn the steering wheel until the system is completely full. Use Dextron III ATF. DO NOT use clear fluids or synthetics in older systems. Tires should be on the ground. Fill the reservoir, then start the engine for a second and shut it off. Check and refill the reservoir. When the reservoir is completely full turn the engine on, and turn the steering wheel SLOWLY. If you hear the pump groan or moan then turn the engine off and check the fluid again. Start the engine and slowly move the steering wheel back and forth to expel air.”

Note Dextron III ATF is no longer available.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote