View Single Post
Old 05-18-2023, 09:18 AM   #5
ChevyTech

Re: Best replacement AC compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Do not know what to do now. In 2020 I replaced the A/C compressor in my 94 twice in two months with the Orielly premium units. One was leaking at front shaft seal right away, other had clutch fail after a couple of weeks. They refunded my money after the second failure. The new AC Delco piece that was more than twice as much and had a very short warranty period failed in about two years. I have worked in home and auto A/C since 1983. Original compressor lasted quite a few years. So I suck or the parts do.
The old long axial compressor from decades back was tough and if there was a failure it was the front seal or a pulley bearing so it was worth repairing. When GM came out with the 4 cylinder radial compressor, a new phenomenon became well known and we called it the black death. With the R4 compressor replacement was commonplace.

With every compressor replacement, a new accumulator, and a system flush is a must if it had the back death, which refers to a compressor that had its internals grind up sending dark metal colored oil and debris through the system. We had a liquid cleaner at the dealership that was used with a flushing system to clean the system. Back in those days the flushing system used R12 refrigerant as the propellant for flushing.

I have a VERY low opinion of the R4 compressor, and if you are getting the system cleaned out, and the new compressors are failing, I would bet the compressors are the problem.

Low quality parts are everywhere now. Even on the dealers shelves.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote