View Single Post
Old 06-01-2023, 08:54 PM   #4375
72c20customcamper

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Work on my friends 54 the one with the ferd motor I know it’s a truck but not mine . He bought a new rad that was made for the truck with a 3100 cfm spal fan went in nice and easy he fired up the truck waited for it to warm a little went for a ride . Temps hovered between 190 and 200 with the a/c on while doing 40 mph . He got caught in traffic in town and the temp went to 220 and was still climbing. He limped it home .

I look at it and noticed the fan was hooked up to a toggle switch . First warning sign then I traced the wire and it was 14 gauge . He pulled juice from another circuit to power it . I inquired as to why he didn’t use a relay powered from the battery ? He looks at me like deer in the headlights . I take out my Fluke multimeter and have him turn on the fan little over 9 volts . So I rip all his wires out and jump the fan from the battery with a 10 gauge wire . Fan sounded like it went from low to high setting . Truck idled with the air on for 15 minutes and hovered around 190 .So tomorrow he’s getting the relay and heavier wire . But he’s still going to have it manually switched

Tried to talk him into buying the kit from the company but he said it was too much . Think the radiator and fan were 1k and the wiring kit was too much ?
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote