View Single Post
Old 06-03-2023, 02:02 PM   #22
nsiti

Re: Why do I keep destroying aluminum radiators?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
the sacrificial zinc in the radiator looked brand new after 2 years, so I would guess electrolysis is not the culprit here.

One of the guys on the ProTouring forum pointed out that the Entropy radiators have the top plate welded on, thus tying the end tanks, cap, and core together. Because the core will expand at a different rate than the solid top cap with heat, he suggested you can end up braking the welds in the core. It does make sense as the core was leaking from both top corners.

I went ahead and ordered a cheap, chinese aluminum radiator that doesnt have a top plate. We'll see how it holds up.
There is so much controversy over radiators in the market, and on this forum, in terms of price/quality/materials/warranty/ etc., it's astounding! From my research, there are inexpensive, moderately priced, and expensive radiators, but quality doesn't always match the price. After spending a lot of money on your entropy, only to be disappointed, I think you went in the logical direction buying an inexpensive replacement. It should last a good long time and if it leaks you can replace it with another one, guilt-free, since it probably cost half of a moderately priced USA made radiator. Unfortunately, we live in a world where replacing is often cheaper than repairing. I went through the same debate and decided to purchase a radiator from Ron Davis. I thought about it very long and hard given the price was what I considered to be exorbitant. I pray the quality matches the price (haven't installed it yet). Good luck to all!
nsiti is offline   Reply With Quote