View Single Post
Old 06-03-2023, 07:59 PM   #31
Beach-Burban

Re: Slow Progress is better than No Progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Glad to see you back at it. You'll have it done and back on the road in no time....

LockDoc
Thanks for the motivating words of encouragement, Leon…I drained down the coolant today and started taking this off and that off, then about 4 hours later, I lifted the intake and carb off (heavy SOB)! Things looked pretty darn clean inside there…and I was able to confirm that the heads have in fact been “port-matched” to give those peanut ports a chance to breathe a little more smoothly.

I did notice something that I don’t think I’ve ever noticed before…my lifters don’t sit on the cam lobes 100%? The complete engine is from 1989 but was still new/unused until 2011 when it finally got installed into this Suburban…then it mostly sat for the next six years just getting started every month or so by the original owner, so now it only has approximately 12K to 14K miles on it. Is that normal for an original factory installed cam to not sit back all the way? It looks like if the cam was pushed in about 1/8 inch more, the lifters would be perfectly centered on the lobes? Anyone, Anyone???

Woody

Name:  IMG_3997.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  62.9 KB
A lot had to be removed to get the intake off.

Name:  IMG_3998.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  100.5 KB
I even measured the ports, and they were the same size as the new intake.

Name:  IMG_4007.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  80.3 KB
Hopefully this offset is normal…but it makes me wonder a bit?
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote