View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 06:07 PM   #19
AcampoDave

Re: Non technical moral dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
I stumbled upon a great deal on a 1966 283ci SBC rebuilt by Jasper with ZERO miles. It was still in the plastic.
I wasn’t satisfied with the 230ci in my 1965 C10 short bed. I have a 230ci in my 1963 short bed and I LOVE IT! The 230ci in my 1965 just didn’t perform as well as the one in my 63, so I decided to swap in the 283.
Fast forward. The 283ci is in my 1965 and I’m not impressed. Maybe I need to investigate why a little more. The 283 SBC is 0.040 over with a slightly better cam than factory, but nothing radical. Cast iron 2 barrel intake and freshly rebuilt Rochester 2Jet carb. Starts, idles, and runs just fine. I honestly think my 230 is more enjoyable. It has plenty of power.

My advice is worth 2 cents. I’d trade the 283 for another 230 like the one that’s in my other truck. Too late now. Keep the inline six you have unless it’s giving you problems. Just sayin’.
I think it warrants a bit of investigation. Of course more carb would help, but even my stocker responded well to a nice timing curve. I put one of those Mr Gasket balancer degree tapes on it and was surprised that my distributor's max advace was on the low side. I bumped the initial higher to get the "all in" up and the old motor did perk up. Edit: I think some aftermarket distributors are set up that way (perfomance curve) because they plan on the user having his initial at 12 degrees or higher.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 06-05-2023 at 06:13 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote