Thread: 55.2-59 56 Chevy truck TCI
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2023, 01:57 PM   #11
Stepside Jim

Re: 56 Chevy truck TCI

Ok, something to consider with using an original column, . Obviously if you center the wheels and you center the rack and pinion by counting the full amount of turns left to right and centering the rack and pinion input shaft to half that amount, the turns should be equal side to side.

One thing I have to mention is centering/clocking the steering column, 1) for the steering wheel to be clocked to center once the rack is all centered. 2) the steering column is clocked so the turn signal is proper to turn off correctly and the steering wheel will be proper centered.

My situations may be different but, I've converted other trucks from original to D shaft. In these cases I had a sleeve to weld to the original steering column shaft, this sleeve turned the column into a D shaft usable unit.

The sleeve I welded on could be welded on anywhere any part of 360 degrees of the old column shaft. but if its not close to lining the D shaft with the rack splines, you're situation will occur.

I usually get the rack in place, center everything, center the steering column shaft to the turn signal and it's mounting angle in the truck, then tack weld the D shaft sleeve to the old steering column shaft, then install the steering column and u joints to see if once the column is in the truck and the steering wheel is in it's place, the shafts and joints fit without rotating the column or rack. If I have to rotate anything to fit the shafts and joints, that will cause the issue you are having. I'll then pull the column, reset the D shaft sleeve, tack weld, check again.

Sure there is a splined joint at the rack to adjust this situation, but you usually can rotate the joint a couple of splines til you're out of splines to rotate on and the set screw doesn't have a flat spot to set onto.

Good luck, Jim