View Single Post
Old 07-01-2023, 05:37 AM   #1335
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s English 2001 S10 Extra Cab 4.3 V6 Truck

Modern times are so weird.

We complain about the cost of everything, even air for our tires/tyres at a gas station or petrol station costs from 50p upward.

Yet, this week saw me gain a load of junked lifting straps, ranging from 1 ton to 3 tonnes and a variety of lengths, from a maintenance job.

Expiry dates mean all these needed recertification or destruction.

SO GET THIS…… RIGHT.

They are perfectly fine to be used for another X-period of time.

But the cost of recertification is more than the cost of replacing or repatriating them.

So they were all being cut in half and thrown in a skip. Except for a few that were put aside for me.

What the hell is wrong with people, or the world.

No, do not try to explain it, I do understand, but it is crazy.

Next item, 9 high end, chemical vapour and dust masks, described thus:

3M 4279+ Maintenance Free Organic Gas/Vapour and Combination Particulate Respirator3MΓäó Maintenance Free Half Mask 4279+ is a simple and ready-to-use respirator with an integrated cartridge and filters. A newly enhanced valve assembly helps to reduce exhalation breathing resistance, and the close-fitting, non-silicone, textured face seal is soft and non-allergenic. Includes a resealable bag for hygienic storage and transportation.

Found left over from a previous job, in a store, not on inventories, so headed to the skip.

SERIOUSLY?

Also found in the same pile of now “illegal on site” left overs from 18 months ago, were some of these flame/fire retardant balaclava hoods.

I should have had them when welding the Chevy Blazer a few years ago, had more than one fireball in my ear hole, not fun.

So I was thankful to be able to say yes of course my skip/dumpster is a house, I mean house is a skip/dumpster.

Will I use them all?

Of course not, but a few friends will all get given bits they can use.

My lodger, Andy who is a welder, and helped me previously with the carport post welding during Covid and taught me some great stick welding and Mig techniques has an electric car, and I have not charged him for charging his car here, swings and roundabouts,I guess.

This week he bought and brought me a new welding mask and a grinding mask as a thank you.

Quite unnecessary as a thank you gift, but it does mean the old balaclavas will be used, and I will get my head into tighter spaces.

Have I mentioned recently that life is good?

Nope, work has been sucking the joy out of my life to a large extent.

But life is good, and as long as there is free cash about, I certainly won’t be saying no thanks.

Right, time to go play with contact adhesive and vinyl once I cut the templates for the Canta.

Catch you later.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote