View Single Post
Old 07-09-2023, 06:08 AM   #6200
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger View Post
Man oh man, what an ordeal,
what a vehicle.
You have my respect for that.
Thank you.

I am not sure why I am doing all this work on a car that is already sold in my mind.

I guess it is the African in my blood, we never like to give up.

Making excuses on a Sunday morning not to go out and get started on the next bit of irritation.

So yesterday, @nickwheeler visiting, weather, looking at an Audi A2 and the heavy humid heat all made good excuses to keep walking away from the Canta.

In the end I closed shop after 18.00 but at least side number two of the body was done.

As much as I really do not like this little car at the moment, I have to keep reminding myself…..

This is not a car in the traditional sense, it is a mobility aid.

Imagine nailing a chicken coop to a Chinese mobility scooters chassis in a shed, somewhere on mainland Europe.

Then bringing a couple of them into England 20 years ago……

No support, no spares stock, no knowledge and certainly not much to work with.

After 20 plus years of very low mileage use, but a flurry of abuse, possibly years of just standing in someone’s driveway or back yard, it is removed and given a really good, short burst of extreme abuse.

Fabrics have perished and aged in the 20 plus years since it was built, plastics are brittle and still most people don’t give a sh1t about a Canta LX.

Enter the weirdos…… why go mainstream when you can try swim without arms or legs ehhhh?

So yesterday I started by trimming a couple of small bits, then ground to a halt when Nick came around (great excuse to walk away and make coffee)

Next job……..

Disassemble and remove the rear light I previously installed.

Including some wires joined by the devils joiners.

Opened area to work.

Measure, cut, shape, glue and fit.

Then the rain stopped play.

So I closed shop, went for a drive to look at an abandoned Audi A2 three miles from where I live.

Unfortunately if you check its current status, it seems a new V5c ownership document has been issued, so someone has a cheap car.

This is the inspiration for a 20 plus year old car being given a cheap but awesome new look.

Thread here: https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread...-retro-classic

Anyway, later the weather cleared again and I went back to the garage, loaded with guilt at wasting so much time that could have been spent on polishing the turd instead.

So I completed the wheel arch box and shut shop.

Next stop will be to get started on the rear door, then the side doors and roof.

11.00 on a Sunday morning and still not made it to the shop.

Soon…….
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote