View Single Post
Old 08-04-2023, 10:54 AM   #20
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

The truck is back in the shop, it's upgrade time. Two upgrades are on the menu, first the turbo 350c trans has done well for 10000 miles along with the Gear Vendors overdrive.

First upgrade is the transmission, I know the Th350c is not the strongest although I did put stronger parts inside of it, I always took it easy while shifting, ect. I also had a 3000 stall lock up converter which was a great combination. This 3000 stall converter is why I went with the 350"C", it has a lock up converter. I have the best of both worlds, great low end, then at highway speeds, over drive and lock up the converter.

Must have been time to upgrade, I went to the junkyard for something else and sitting there was a 4l80 that had "Bad" written on it and it had the 4x4 tail shaft. These 2 situations made it the least desirable, sold $100.00.

The tail shaft issue was easy, e-bay and a 2 wheel drive tail shaft acquired. I've been purchasing parts for months now and am ready for the upgrade.

Parts, new shifter for 4 speed, torque converter, major overhaul kit, shift kit, new electronics, TCI ECU, Gear Vendors adapter, Throttle position sensor, Torque converter cover, Ring and Pinion and other odds and ends.

I'm sold on the 4l80e since I removed a Th400 in a customer car and installed the 4l80e. Overdrive, lockup converter, push buttons to change the shift firmness, set RPM shift points....sold.
Attached Images