View Single Post
Old 09-02-2023, 12:04 AM   #330
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: LockDoc's "Low Budget", "Low Maintenance" Project Thread

-
I had a problem with high idle RPM when I got the engine running. I tried a throttle position re-learn but still couldn't get it to idle down. I was talking to member KFF 1 and he said to look for a vacuum leak. I started checking closer and discovered that I had removed the EGR+EVAP Purge Solenoid valve and neglected to plug the hole. Having a hearing problem can make this kind of stuff hard to diagnose. As bad as it was I couldn't hear the vacuum leak. After inserting a rubber plug in the hole the engine idled down where it should be and ran great. Simple things you overlook can cause big headaches later.

After I bled the brakes and started the truck I found that the front disk brake calipers were stuck. The back tires would spin but the truck would not back up. I think they were pretty new but the truck they came off of had been sitting for a few years. The pads were definitely new, as were the rotors. I replaced the calipers and cleaned up the rotors today.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/b...=brake+caliper

BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured - 18-4087

Part #: 18-4087
Line: BC

BrakeBest Brake Caliper - Remanufactured - 18-4088

Part #: 18-4088
Line: BC

I moved the hubs/rotors front to rear while I had the wheels off and discovered that the outboard tie rod end on the passengers side was loose. It is the one on the right in the picture below. I replaced it with a good used one I had and it tightened it right up. I'm not the type of person to "just replace everything as long as I am in there" but if I find a bad part I will replace it. I also don't have a problem using good used parts.

I just keep chipping away at it when I have time.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 09-03-2023 at 08:25 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote