View Single Post
Old 09-03-2023, 10:06 PM   #9
mr48chev

Re: Modify 1960 Chevy front guards for 55-59 bumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshilling View Post
They offered plenty of fru fru back in 1959. I guess you consider all the chrome on a GMC or a Cameo "clutter"?
A bit busy yes, I was referring to doing the Auto Zone chrome trinket style of adding on and call it customizong.

In the 50's the trucks that got sold new here in the valley didn't have a lot of extras tacked on them as a norm. Good heater, turn signals, a step bumper and work truck mirrors and that was it. I don't remember seeing one with a frost visor on it but you seldom saw those on cars sold new here.

If you saw a truck or car with a lot of added on pieces it had usually been driven into the area from another area. The migrant fruit pickers from the Ozarks tended to have a lot of bolt on stuff on their cars and it seems that guys from that area still like a lot more fru fru than folks from some areas but with the main stream car and truck guys adding a bunch of trinkets didn't start until they saw the bombas in Lowrider Magazine starting in 1976. If you look at old custom truck magazines or rod or custom magazines before 1976 the one thing you see is that there wasn't a bunch of add on chrome pieces on the cars or trucks and most hoods had emblems and hood ornaments removed rather than holes drilled on an put on.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote