View Single Post
Old 09-11-2023, 09:11 PM   #1010
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Dove into the heater core project today. Once again the PO's have left their mark. To get the box out I went with the fender well method. It wasn't too terrible as I have removed all the fender well bolts at least once since I've owned the truck. Which means no broken cage nuts this time.

The last time the heater box was reinstalled they goobered at least half a tube of silicone to seal the blower to cowl joint. (1/4 tube of black and a 1/4 tube of orange) (Photo #1) Unfortunately I believe that all the silicone trapped water which lead to some corrosion. (Photo #2) UGGG! I will have to figure out how to address the rust before reinstalling the heater box.

In addition to that the heater box has a broken tab on the top next to the blower motor. But even worse the PO cut the end off of the box where the core resides. My guess it was a short cut method of replacing the heater core. To be honest in my younger days living in North Idaho if I was faced with replacing the heater core in 20 degree weather without a garage I too may have used that method too. This does solve the mystery of why the heater box had silicone smeared all over it. (Photo #3) I never investigated it too closely as I knew this day would come.

And one last small issue is the screws that secure inter-baffle plate have been replaced with pop rivets (Photo #4)

After seeing all of the above it looks as I'm in the market for a heater box.

In the interim I made a plate to cover the hole so I can still drive the Burban. Last photo.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 09-11-2023 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Forgot the last photo.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote