View Single Post
Old 09-16-2023, 11:26 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: lokar shifter hitting dash. slips out of park

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardenafil View Post
I have a 1972 k20 that the pervious owner put in a lokar shifter on the floor. The shifter is a little sloppy with the movements. it goes all the way to and hits the dash when i try to put it in park. a couple times when i have tried to start the truck it jerks in reverse because it is in gear. is there a way to move the shifter or angle it back? i looked at the instal instructions it didnt say much. also is the supposed to be some kind of kill switch that wont let the truck start in gear?
The Neutral Safety Switch [NSS] is only present on Factory built automatics. You have to be careful to put it in Park or Neutral. It would be a PIA to splice a new NSS into your starter circuit. You could get an electrical harness for an AT-equipped truck, but it will be spendy.

As for the shifting problems, you may have to pull the hump panel and tighten up some of your transmission control connections. As there are several makers of aftermarket shifters, we need pix of your set up. I'm sure it can be moved but I have no idea how.

I had an idiot at a Jiffy Lube muscle his way past a detent on a B&M floor shifter on my '67 K/10 Suburban w/ 454/TH350/NP205. All the kid needed to do was pull up on a toggle under the T-handle to go over a gate, but they can't afford to hire geniuses there.
Now I change my own oil.
I replaced it with a Hurst shifter.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote