View Single Post
Old 09-19-2023, 03:12 PM   #168
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

The driver side Fender went on easier than the passenger side. I didn’t like how the fender isn’t wide enough to span across the bolt holes. I made some anti-squeak gasket with roofing tar paper for the fender to body. This is a 1 ton truck so the bumper mount is not like the smaller trucks. I had purchased a fender bolt kit awhile ago. Those bolts are too small, this needs the ½” bolts. I got some ½” stainless to get me by for now. I might replace them with something with the chrome caps later. Most of the vendors list them as bumper bolts, but without the size. I did find one vendor that does list the size. I had to reconfigure the Bull Bar supports for the modified frame ends. Still need to paint before assembly.

I installed the running board to body seal on the passenger side and then decided to paint the bolts black. I painted the rest of the bolts and swapped them out. Painted the removed bolts and installed the driver side. It was a struggle to get the running boards on in front of the seals so I tucked the running boards behind the seal with the plan of moving the rubber back later. The rear fenders, running boards and front fenders are in place with all bolts loose. The hood is adjusted and the hood latch works well. Next I’ll adjust the front fenders and tighten everything up. The running boards attach to the rear fenders, but not the front fenders, still I wanted some wiggle room.

I used some spray adhesive to attach Tolex to Cowl Board for the cargo panels. For the first set I slipped the panel under the rear rib and then slid into the lower and front channel so it was a tight fit. For the rest of the panels I added Boom Mat. All but the last rearward panels are installed. The rear lights need to be wired before the last panels can go in. I cleaned up the routing of the wiring harness that goes to the back of the truck, then I proceeded to connect it to the wires at the bulkhead.

I haven’t started the truck in some time. I tried to start it, but the battery was down. I let it charge for an hour and the truck started right up. It ran awhile and then shut down. The battery light and the CEL were illuminated. I started it up again, it ran o.k. but was not as responsive to the gas pedal as it should be. I’ll charge up the battery and add some fresh gas before checking for trouble codes.
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote