View Single Post
Old 10-19-2023, 08:56 PM   #437
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: LockDoc's "Low Budget", "Low Maintenance" Project Thread

-
The wife helped me cut the wood to the correct widths the other day and I was finally able to run the bed wood through the router table this morning to finish it up. I'm glad that part is done. I will get a couple of coats of Danish Oil Finish on it tomorrow and maybe I can start installing it Saturday if it isn't raining. (first picture)

Since I didn't measure the height of the front springs when I did the C30 disk brake/spindle swap I decided to pull the drivers side back apart and measure it. It measures 13 tall. I dug out the extra springs I had that I thought were 1 ton and measured them and they measure 13 1/2" tall. That isn't going to help me much but I think I will go ahead and install them.

I clean all of that kind of stuff in vinegar and it really eats the rust off of them. The third picture shows the springs in the vinegar bath. Since my tub isn't deep enough to completely immerse them I have to rotate them after about a day to let it work on the other side. The fourth picture shows the springs after I removed them from the vinegar bath. They actually look worse than they did before I put them in but the secret is to pressure wash them after you remove them from the vinegar. The fifth picture is after pressure washing them. That really makes a difference. If a person didn't think they were clean enough you could always put them back in the vinegar bath for a little longer and pressure wash them again. I always blow them dry with the air hose and prime them right away or they will flash rust pretty quick.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 10-19-2023 at 09:03 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote