View Single Post
Old 11-06-2023, 12:39 AM   #12
Short 3/4

Re: Fitting the 292 to the SB 66 K10 Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
Thank you for the update! Looks amazing!

Was your k10 frame factory 292 or was it 283? Just curious if you had to relocate the engine perch that comes riveted to the frame from the factory in order to accommodate the 292.

I seem to remember that either the 292 or the 250 six cylinder engine has the engine mount offset from the passenger side or the drivers side.

My k10 originally came with the 283, which was missing when I got the truck. I'm tempted to put a 292 in the truck instead of a v8, just not sure if the engine perches on the frame need to be moved for the 292.

Great progress, keep us updated!
My K10 also originally came from the factory with a 283. Drivers side mounts are the same no matter what engine you use. On the passenger side, all engines EXCEPT the 292 use the same mount. Not only is the mount further forward than the other engines, but is unique to the 292. To make matters worse, the unique 2wd mount is different from the even rarer 4wd version.

I was fortunate to find the correct part on this forum back when I did mine (and for a very reasonable price, members here are great!). Have seen others move, then modify a V8 mount as shown in the picture, or modify a 2wd mount. I was lucky to find the right part, as I don’t have the fabrication skills necessary to make one as nice as the one in the picture.

Good luck with whatever you do, as the 292 is indeed the perfect engine for a K truck, and well worth the trouble to fit

Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote