View Single Post
Old 12-09-2023, 06:25 AM   #23
mr48chev

Re: Smoking Ignition Wires….Exciting stuff!

The instructions clearly state that you either bypass or eliminate the the resistor.
The only reason for keeping it is that you are carrying the distributor pieces, points, point plate, condensor an whatnot to convert it back to points if the hei module fails. Other than that there is no reason to have it on the truck except to serve as a connection point for wires but then if you have someone else work on the truck they might screw it up again thinking that it is hooked up wrong because they are thinking points.

Since you are not running points and a resistor and you have a stomp pedal, you do not need or want the resistor by pass wire (lavender) remove it.

I don't know why you have that snake pit of coiled wires but I would trim each to a comforable length and put a new terminal on the end. That is just messy clutter.

The only wire you want hooked to the ignition wire from the IGN post on the switch is the wire from B on the module that should run directly from B to the + post on the coil. Absolutely no other wires hooked in that circuit. The Ignition switch should havetwo IGN posts 1 for the ignition wire to the coil the second to connect the things that have to be on when the ignition is on but are not "accessories" That usually runs to the fuse block or junction block were other things connect to it.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote