View Single Post
Old 12-11-2023, 10:06 PM   #41
dieseldawg142

Re: More on EVs from a guy trying to sell them

[quote=72c20customcamper;9265725]Where EVs really shine is in city traffic . Their efficiency is at its peak unlike ICE vehicles but their efficiency drops in highway situations . The faster you go the more drain on the battery

"ev's shine in the city"
yes they do..and 80% of Americans live in cities. imagine if even half that number jumped into ev's. oil companies would end up investing in electricity to keep them ridiculous profits they make.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
I don’t care if it goes 0-60 in a nano second… I’m a life long gear head and EV’s lack overall style and any real cool factor that appeals to me. They are not practical or functional for the area of the USA I live in. Just to get to the nearest large scale airport for example is a 400 mile round trip, with basically no human civilization between point A and B.
same here, all new cars, ice and ev, have what i call aero-blob stylin' and all the new trucks have the "angry transformer" look. that's why i would take a ev hummer, in my eye it still looks like a truck.
and i get the whole liberty and choice thing as well, but unfortunatley it don't always work like that. trust me, i'm no fan of gov (our gov taxes us on a tax-yes really) but how do you think we ended up with seatbelts or a myrid of other devices implemented to "protect" us from ourselves or "make our lives better". and the US does not have a monopoly on this kind of gov reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
DieselDawg, thanks for the challenges and the points you made, even if not everybody appreciates how you made them. Mostly stated elsewhere, but here's my own summary to explain why it's such a negative reaction. First, we don't like being told what to do. Second, we don't like the government spending our money to push an agenda. Third, it feels like it is threatening our hobby and a major source of enjoyment. I know I have some concern that gas will not become cheaper and that the government will erode our infrastructure for supplying it in order to further push the agenda. However, the oil lobby is huge. What works in this country is to let people decide for themselves. EVs can make a strong case for their own value, the government doesn't need to do it for them. Many people are going to decide that an EV fits their needs. The strongest change will happen when people buy their second EV and their first one hits the used car market. That will allow people in a different income bracket to experience whatever value the EV can provide for them - no need to try to push it along.
thanks
but i never posted on this thread to challenge anyone. between Canada and the US we have a population close to 400 mil. out of that 400 mil, i would wager less than 10-20 mil do what we do (old trucks and cars, hi perf, etc..) the mass majority only know two things about vehicles-gas pedal and brake pedal. i'm of the opinion we should stop kicking on ev's. these reg joes read all the hate/garbage/no good ev comments and get turned off them. as "caretakers" of old vehicles we should be pushing the virtues of ev's on them-again, more ev's will eventually equal more gas and hopefully lower gas prices. just seems to be alot of mis-information about ev's. the naysayers are always coming up with excuses, but like ANY other product, time and refinement makes it better. all the major car companies have invested serious cash into ev's, and even if there not selling at the numbers they like, i doubt their all going to walk away after all the coin they've put into them. i know in BC last yr, 25% of all new vehicles sold were ev's. and if you want to talk about distance, come up here. you think Texas or New Mexico is big......and we only have about 5 mil people living here, so ya, ev's can work out west, back east, anywhere. just need to get the infrastructure in place, which is not going to happen overnight.
and the reason ev's are selling here? try gassing up the dual twenty tanks on your truck at 6-7 bucks a gal. i read the gas thread and ya, i kinda laugh at you guys complaining about $2, $3 or $4 a gal....would kill for them prices again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
They make it sound like upgrading our electrical grid will happen in the snap of one's fingers. It's antiquated and insufficient already. It will take more then billions.
gotta start somewhere. if you need more more power, buy it from Canada. last year we supplied 90% of the electricity you imported, 56 terrawatts, or enough to power 43 million homes. you already buy 60% of your imported oil from us, why not more electricity- we have tons to spare

and lastly, thank you Keith Seymore for some real world numbers. it does not cost an arm and a leg to run an ev, in fact, didn't you help design or build the Volt?