Thread: 47-55.1 '52 3800 disc brakes
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2023, 08:57 PM   #11
mr48chev

Re: '52 3800 disc brakes

Looking at this again and pondering the machining thing. I'm going to say that depends 100% on if you have the equipment or access to and the skills to accomplish the task rather than pay someone in a job shop to do the work.

Being able to do such a project yourself or have your buddy with the machine shop in his garage who gets involved in your project do it is one thing. Going out and paying today's machine shop labor and setup charges to have it done is totally different. The last piece I had done in a machine shop was a pretty simple machined for bearing fit and broched for a key for sprockets on each end shaft but There was a couple of extra fees on top of the actual labor costs. The Machine work including setting things up took less than a half hour but by the time shop fees and minimum fees were added in it cost about an hour and a half's worth of time plus the price of the shaft.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote