View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 02:32 PM   #238
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Work, the holidays, other projects, helping someone else with their project and some illness (damn colds!) have kept me from making any progress on the cobra. There is a ton left to do to finish this car. There's a short list of mechanical issues found during my drives this fall such as:
Backfiring and stalling while coasting
Gauge lights not working
Coolant leak on heater bypass connector
Tire rubbing rear fender wells
Transmission casing leak
Probably more I can't recall at the moment

Then there is the body work. Honestly not a ton when compared to fixing rust and 50 years of wear, tear, abuse on most of what I work on. Sand down the seams, add some filler, sand. Primer, sand, primer, sand, etc. The doors, hood and trunk are a tight gap fit at the moment.

Then there is the rest of the stuff that needs to be done to "finish" the car. Interior (carpet, dash, etc), painting/coating the last bits and pieces including the side pipes. Clean up wiring, etc.

Then there are the changes/improvements like rear coilovers, bump stops, shorter axle shafts, some front inner wheel well protection, changing rear gears.

I don't know how much I'll get done this winter. Based on progress of the past couple months, little to nothing LOL. A start was made though, after one last drive for 2023, where I was actually in the passenger seat and let my buddy drive it, and the body was pulled off. It was 30 something degrees with a little wind. The helmets worked great for keeping the cold off our faces and ears. He drove it like it was his daily squarebody 1 ton with 4 speed and I had to remind him that it needs a little more rpm and he needs to downshift from 5th when going into town.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote