View Single Post
Old 01-14-2024, 02:49 PM   #4521
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
I went with 1.84 and 1.6 valves. After reading Leo Santucci's book(2nd edition) quite a bit I came to the conclusion that for a street driven truck this is going to be the best solution. Just a couple quotes from the book. Pg 107 "the head-bolt boss in the middle of the intake ports should be shaped like a wing, but left in place." And Pg 117 "for pure street use and mileage, a 1.80 diameter intake valve is best. The exhaust is 1.60 diameter in either case."
I think you already have the book. If not buy it, read it several times over the next year, then make your decisions. Lol
Sweet. That's what I did on my 2005 292 build. I rebuilt the original L25 that came in the '68 Fremont Stepside when I bought it in 1973.
In 1977 I rebuilt a MY '67 block to .030-over,but all stock, or GM parts HD, if available. That engine fran 250,000 miles in 25 years.
OBTW, 1.84'' valves are stock for the SBC 307 iirc.

That's an interesting quote from Leo. I only have the first edition.
Lump Ports were the snazzy dog trick of the period.
About 20-something years ago, I was in Daytona talking with Twisted 6, who was promoting Lump Ports. But I must admit taking away those support columns, replacing them with countersunk flush bolts, epoxying airflow Lumps down, and getting machined set screws to fit the holes left on the top of the head, is a machinist's pipe dream [and your high bill.]

I will have to get the Second Edition.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote