View Single Post
Old 01-18-2024, 01:54 PM   #17
mr48chev

Re: changing drivetrain for 1958 Apache 38

Usually you can get the 55/59 V8 Bellhousing locally for under 100.00 That is going with Local to me prices So Cal prices seem to be Crazy.

The clutch fork should be the same. I am not sure about the tin pieces.

Along with the V8 Bellhousing you need the V8 flywheel. Your clutch will work with that.

If you want to run the SM465 get the bellhousing with it along with the tin.

To add more confusion, the bellhousing you don't want is the early 60's one that used a Hydraulic clutch, 60/63 I think. The clutch fork goes on the right hand side of those and won't work with mechanical clutch linkage.

I've been involved in a couple of these swaps in the past where the owner drove the truck in the shop in the morning with the six and drove it out that evening with the V8 in it. That is when we were a lot younger and worked a lot faster though.

One thing that speeds things up is steam clean or pressure wash the engine compartement and around the transmission from the bottom if it isn't super clean now.

have all the parts you know that you will need for the swap there.

One thing that usually slows the 6 to 8 swap in these is throttle linkage. That you need to do your homework on before hand.

Does the frame have the spots behind the six cylinder mounts for the V8 mounts to go now? Some did, Many didn't. That should be the same on pickups and maybe someone can post a photo.

I'm thinking that the piece of the motor mounts that bolts to the six is different than the ones that bolt to the front of the V8 block if you use the stock truck mounts in front. Not a big deal but time consuming if you don't have the right ones there and either ready to bolt to the block or bolted on the block.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote