View Single Post
Old 01-21-2024, 06:49 PM   #137
Chaparralman1974

Re: My 1967 Chevy K20 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I'm 99% sure I know the answer and your pictures also seem to confirm...

But, do the brake drums just slide off the spindle?

I pulled my spindle and hub as an assembly and can't seem to get them apart? I did take the 2 screws that hold them together and air hammered around the hub on the drum(before I just pulled them together). Had to quit for today, but I thought tomorrow I would parts washer the grease out of the hub and stick them in the sandblaster to make sure there's not paint/grime buildup causing a ridge at the ID of the drum. I say that, because when they were still on the axle. I could pry lightly between the backing plate and drum and see movement at the lug studs. I also lightly heated the drum in the same place. I'm trying to be gentle for fear of warping them like you thought you might have....
Yes, the drum should slide right off of the shoes. As long as you have removed the screws on the front face of the drum, it "should" slide right off. You most likely have a ridge as I did and if the shoes are siezed in place, then it will make for a fun time removing it. You may have to cut the pins on the back of the backing plate allowing the shoes to collapse somewhat. That should allow you a bit of movement to get the shoes off. You definitely don't want to beat too hard on the drums or you will mess them up. Even if you do though, the Raybestos 2008R's are a perfect fit provided you ream out the lug holes.

Good luck!
Clay
Build Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841272
Chaparralman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote