View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 10:34 AM   #164
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

After cleaning and lubing the new cam, I used a couple of water pump bolts as a handle to install the cam.
The new Gm cam retainer plate and Gm bolts were installed and torqued to spec.

The timing set was next. The cam gear came with a thrust bearing that can only be installed one way so as to prevent damage to the gear. The crank gear needed to be pressed on. I just used the old crank gear and a harmonic balancer installer to press/pull the gear onto the crank. The new Cloyes gear needs to be marked a bit higher than the factory mark. The gear was marked in the location of the dot before pressing on the crank gear and oil pump drive gear. Cloyes sends these out as 2 separate pieces, unlike the original Gm crank gear, and unless marked, it would be impossible to double check your marks after rotating the crank one full revolution.

The L33 block comes drilled and tapped for the timing chain dampener, but was never installed from the factory, so I added one for cheap insurance.

Hopefully today I can get the oil pump and oil pan installed again, perhaps I will use stock style bolts rather than the Allen head hardware it may be easier to use a open end wrench with stock bolts. I am unsure why the aftermarket pan and pickup tube use the Allen hardware, it may be there is limited room for a traditional bolt between the pickup tube and flange holes, I will have to check that out.
Hopefully it’s not too difficult to tell if the O ring is installed correctly, I usually have installed the pickup tube into the pump, rather than the pump to the tube.
Attached Images