View Single Post
Old 02-04-2024, 11:14 AM   #1
novaX522

Just when you think you’re caught up….

Been driving my 72 around since a mechanical overhaul. Hauled chairs to my daughters. Took wife to dinner, and buzzing around town in the truck. I took it to the car wash to rinse out some dirt in the bed and smelled hot brakes. It took a little effort to get it to go , like a brake was stuck. Drove it back home and touched the wheels. The passenger rear was hot. I did new brakes and drums, so I figured I had it adjusted wrong. Got the tire off and the drum came off fairly easy. Found some brake dust in the drum. I didn’t see anything wrong with the install. I remembered this side was wet and dirty when I rebuilt it. I guessed it was the brake cylinder and replaced it. That area is dry now. I looked under the axle and found a trace of axle grease coming out.
I’m guessing the axle bearing and seal are bad. As hot as it got, I’ll have to check the axle surface for damage, might need offset bearing. If I’m gonna tear one side apart, I might as well do both sides. My dad taught me years ago if there’s a problem on one side, the other side is probably not too far behind.
novaX522 is offline   Reply With Quote