View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 04:17 PM   #12
cericd

Re: Another great reproduction product. Sarcasm

I have had NOS lighters, aftermarket and originals (in similar condition as your original that you posted). On the original and NOS lighters, the black part is painted metal, nice and heafty. On the aftermarket ones, that black part seems to be plastic (feels light and cheap). And as you've found out, the aftermarket lighters do not fit the original receptacles and visa versa.

There are two styles of original lighters, one with a light and one without. The one with a light is more rare so the prices are higher. The wiring harness and bezel are slightly different between the two styles to account for the light.

I didn't see if you purchased the entire aftermarket lighter as a kit with the receptacle, wiring and lighter element but it looks like you have all the parts for and original lighter, if you have the wiring under the dash. If it were me I'd do a light sanding on the black part of your original lighter and paint it black. If you have an aftermarket trim ring, it should fit your original lighter receptacle.

As far as disassembling the knob. The silver button will unscrew from the original (sometimes easily and sometimes not). Not sure about the aftermarket one. The black knob on the original is held on by 3 tabs under the silver button. I don't believe there's a good way to take it apart. It would be easier to refinish the original than to try to cobble something together from the original and aftermarket lighter elements.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872

Last edited by cericd; 02-05-2024 at 05:17 PM.
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote