View Single Post
Old 02-08-2024, 11:55 PM   #425
vintovka

Re: 55 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

Not sure this is news but yet ANOTHER Chinese part has joined the growing scrap pile. This time it was the HEI module in my Asian wonder distributor. After the Alternator change the engine would run for minute and quit. Then it wouldn't start at all. Serious On line searches came up with HEI module failure. When researching best one it seems almost all currently available replacement modules may fail unexpectantly and in very, very short order. Best choices for me were a partial Accel distributor for $220, a whole new distributor by MSD at Oreillys for $175, The MSD HEI replacement module from summit for $170 or a NAPA TS45 module for $40. It Seems 95% of all the modules on the net are made in China and have have horrible reviews or high prices or both. Even those with fancy names. After some study I chose the NAPA TS45. It was the winner as being stamped as US made, locally available - returnable , has a 5 yr warranty and comes with the dielectric compound. It works, So far so good, Still don't fully trust NAPA but it is what it is. FWIW HEI have made it to the number one GM ignition problem with many bloggers recommending carrying a spare. Again your mileage may vary.

Last edited by vintovka; 02-09-2024 at 12:23 AM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote