View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 03:06 PM   #168
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

The valve spring compressor arrived, and I was able to swap from the 660 springs to the lightweight checker springs. The compressor was inexpensive, but actually worked quite well, and it had better reviews than much more expensive models.
A lump of modeling clay proved I had plenty of piston to valve clearance. I threw a used head gasket in place and the new heads with a several head bolts. I had made a solid lifter by taking apart a old lifter, cleaned it with brake cleaner, filled it with RTV silicone and reassembled it. I then let it cure a few days. As it turns out I probably didn’t need a solid lifter, especially with the light checker springs. My numbers were very close between the solid lifter, and a new lifter when I assembled the rockers and used the adjustable pushrod to measure for pushrods.
But I’m getting ahead of myself…..
After turning the crank over a few times, I pulled the head back off and saw the depression in the clay that the valves had made.
Attached Images