View Single Post
Old 02-14-2024, 05:15 PM   #2
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

The passengers head went on next
I chased the threads in the block, vacuumed and blew out the threads just to be certain there wasn’t anything that could cause a disruption. Lifters came out of the oil bath and drained a bit while in the lifter trays . Then assembly lube on the lifters and lifter bores. The ARP washers and bolts were cleaned as well as the head where the washer will sit. Then lubed( it is a small packet of lube but it’s enough)the washers need to stay dry on the waffle pattern that sits on the head to achieve proper torque. Then a Final wipe on the head, block deck, placed a new gasket, lowered the head on the block and torqued everything down again.

Before ordering pushrods I wanted to confirm my numbers on the passenger side cylinders.
Using the Comp Cams adjustable pushrod I checked a couple different cylinders and found I had lash at 7.3060, 7.3115, and still just very slight at 7.3150
Zero lash was found at 7.3170 and 7.3180. So if I add the recommended.080 lifter preload, I am very close again to a 7.4 pushrod.
I also used the method of counting the turns of the rocker bolt before it reached proper torque of 22ft#
With the lifter on the base circle of the cam and
Using the stock pushrod with a length of 7.397 I placed it in the lifter cup and adjusted for zero lash. Then I carefully turned the wrench to see how far it would turn. After trying both intake and exhaust I came up with just short of 1 turn, more like 7/8 of a turn on average. I did have a 3/4 turn and 1 full turn, but I performed the test 6 or 7 times and 7/8 was the most common. I attribute the variable due to possibly not getting the lash exactly the same a couple times.
This is also well within range for these lifters and required preload.

Now I will get 7.4 pushrods ordered.
Attached Images

Last edited by sfont66; 02-15-2024 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Correct number
sfont66 is offline   Reply With Quote