View Single Post
Old 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM   #167
Roostre

Re: Roostre's 1967 C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Chrome Buckets? You mean the headlight bezels? They are a silvery anodized aluminum. Same material they made the Trim Rings from. [I used to call them ''Chicken Lips'' because OEM were so hard to find]. The true MY 1967 Trim Rings were steel and had a cross section like a capital D. In '68 Chevy found they could make them in anodized aluminum, but needed an extra corrugation ridge in the cross section so they didn't bend as much. [The anodized aluminum being cheaper and flimsier.] Also GM only reproduced the anodized aluminum Trim Rings as replacement parts. So steel ones are hard to get. I might assume the real '67 headlight bezels were steel too, but my '67 K/10 had already been swapped to aluminum when I got it. And its Chicken Lips were missing even before I whacked Bambi's Dad.
After the Ungulate Impact event, the Sub got a '68 Grille.

Here's a pic of my original '68 Grille on the Orange Stepside on a rare nasty day in Tucson.
Yep, I meant the headlight bezels. Thanks for the history! The only ones I have been up close and personal with are mine off the 67. They are definitely steel, and they look like they may have been chrome at one point, but I'm not sure. I documented stripping a few layers of paint off them around page 4-5.

I've always liked the suburbans of this age. Problem is they're really rare around here and seem to rust out even worse than the pickups do. And this cab is testing my rust repair abilities.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote