View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 06:25 PM   #1
69Tom

73 K10 - what to do - blank slate

I'm picking up a 1973 K10 short bed this weekend. It has no engine or transmission, and I need to start planning somewhat on the drivetrain. Historically, I'm a numbers matching guy. However as this has nothing, I feel like I can do what I want. Basically, I want a truck I can take on or off-road and not worry about it much. Some thoughts:
  • I've always liked the older engines because I feel like they're way easier to work on. However, I do like (the maybe false) reliability of a modern engine. I don't, however, like the reliance on "a computer" for it to run. Hey you never know what could happen (clipping, shutdown, cough cough).
  • With gas seemingly not getting any cheaper, that is a factor here. I mean, if I can get 18 or better a gallon, I'm ok with that. It's just got to be better than my 10 mpg in my 74 454 I have at the moment.
  • As K10s came with small blocks, I'm cool with the 350 for an older engine. I'd probably want to get the HP up in the low 300s and torque in the high 300s/low 400s.
  • Carburetor vs. fuel injection? From what I've been reading, it doesn't seem like the Sniper-type systems are that awesome. Plus the computer..... Not sure here.
  • Transmission: TH400 vs something with overdrive for highway. Not super sure here. I'm sure you guys have some good thougts on this.
  • For the first time ever, I have a transfer case to think about. I'm all ears on this one. Whatever gets the most suggestions wins. I'm sure the transmission/engine combo may greatly factor into this.
  • Overall, I generally like a stock look, but going with 15 x 8 steelies (6-lug - I somehow found a set for under $600) on this with a 30-32" tire. I don't want Big Foot here. Just a beefier stance than the stock 6" wheels.
  • Do I build the engine myself (if going with an old block)? Do I go with a pre-built engine (I have concerns with quality here; any reputable builders with value)?
  • Sadly, cost is always a factor. I don't have an open checkbook here. But I also realize what I need to spend/have to spend if I choose certain options.

Well, that's about it. I'm open to everyone's opinion here, as I know a lot of you have already done this and have a lot of experience when making different choices from stock.

Thanks for the help.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote